Friday, July 25, 2014

Adding bases to my Epic 40k Space Marine Vehicles

I have been making some progress on painting up the GW Epic 40k Space Marines that I will be using for my games of Future War Commander, Epic 40K, and possibly a 6mm variant of Tomorrows war.  I like how they have turned out.

I decided to add bases to the vehicle models for a couple of reasons.  First, it will give the army an even more unified look.  I like my armies to look like they belong together.  The painting does that to some degree, but adding bases with similar details throughout the army really makes them unified.  Second, transportation will be easier.  The bases I am using are metallic, so I can put the models into a box with magnetic strips on the base and that will make moving these around easier.

I ordered bases from Wargame Accessories for this project.  Their bases are reasonably priced and work well for this scale.  There are lots of sizes available, so you should be able to find the right size for your projects.  The Rhinos, Razorbacks, and Predators below are based on 25mm x 25mm bases.

I mixed some wood glue with a little water to thin it down a bit.  Then spread the glue onto a base.  I then sprinkle the base with the talus.  Once this is dry I paint it a dark brown.  For the bases I use a cheap acrylic paint from the local hobby store.  Then dry brush the base with a light tan to make the detail stand out a bit.

Once that dries, I used super glue to attach the tank to the base.  Let dry and then I use the watered down wood glue and add a couple of blotches to each base then sprinkle on the flock.  Let that dry and then blotch on a little more watered down wood glue and sprinkle on a different flock.

You don't need to use two kinds of flock, but I like the look and it is an easy detail to add that looks pretty good on the finished models.

Below you can see some based Predators, Razorbacks and Rhinos.




I have assembled a few more tanks and hope they will be hitting the paint table soon.

What do you think?  Is the work necessary?  Do you base your 6mm vehicles?

No comments:

Post a Comment